5/16/09

My trip up Pikes Peak

Yesterday I went with several other EDGEers up Pikes Peak on the Cog Railway. It was a great trip! It took about an hour and a half to ride up the mountain. The view was amazing the whole way up and down. 

We started in Manitou Springs that is at about 8000 feet in altitude
and then rode up to over 14000 feet! I drank lots of water to avoid altitude sickness (and is the reason that I didn't take sweet Caroline).
You can kind of tell by these pictures how slanted we were while riding up! 
For me, this is the way to make it up a 14er. I like small hikes, but I'm not a big intense hiker! I'd much rather ride a cog railway up a 14000 ft mountain than hike it! But people here are amazing, there is a marathon race up and down the mountain every year. It takes the average hiker 6 to 8 hours to hike the mountain, but people can race up it in 2 hours! There is also a road that people can drive up to the top. It usually takes a couple hours to drive it, but during the race the record holder drove up the mountain in 10 minutes! 
I am so glad I had the opportunity to go up the mountain! It is one of the best things I've been able to do here!  
I love mountains, I'm drawn to them. So being on top and seeing the amazing view is so great!

Sing for joy, O heavens, for the LORD has done this; 
       shout aloud, O earth beneath. 
       Burst into song, you mountains, 
       you forests and all your trees, 
       for the LORD has redeemed Jacob, 
       he displays his glory in Israel. Isaiah 44:23

3 comments:

LA said...

I love mountains too, but Pikes'Peak altitude did not have a positive effect on my stomach- I was too nauseated to enjoy the view at the time. I'm glad you acclimated well.The pics are great.

Rosemary and Tim said...

WOW! What a view!!

Kristi said...

One of my FAVORITE places!