5/3/09

Ugly side of couponing and my new loves

This is my can shelf in my pantry.... 

Going left to right here... the first row is what I will call my random stuff, then I have an entire row of peas, an entire row of corn, another whole row of green beans and then  a whole row of tomatoes and tomato sauce is everywhere! This shelf was COMPLETELY full of more corn and all sorts of beans (black beans, black eyed peas, red kidney beans, etc). I got such amazing coupons deals that I just couldn't help myself! 

Here is my confession - I am a picky eater. I don't like peas or tomatoes. But! My fabulous mother and sister gave me a great recipe for a Pesto Pea Pasta Salad, which uses frozen peas... I wonder if I could use these canned peas in it? (let me know mom or Sarah!) But - maybe I like peas since I like them in that recipe. SO I tried to make Pea Soup - YUCK! Here it is in the freezer.Is it bad that I am taking this soup to the church for their freezer ministry because I don't like it? 

Here is David and my new favorite drink. 
All you red wine lovers may gasp. It is called a Calimocho. My brother introduced me to it several years ago. I don't think he intended for me to use caffeine free and diet coke - but I love diet coke and I'm avoiding caffeine while I nurse.. AND alcohol (we only will have one a night). But we use 1/3 wine and 2/3 diet coke with lots of ice. Yum!!

This is also my new favorite frozen yogurt! 

Holy cow this stuff is good - Publix Premium Toffee Candy Crunch Frozen Yogurt! I swear it is better than the much higher calorie and fat alternative to ice cream. (Oh how I'll miss Publix in St. Louis!)

My next love, and possibly my lifesaver, is The Daily Plate. I lost tons of baby weight when I first had Caroline - but that was simply because I had her. I really hadn't lost much weight since then... and I wasn't really trying. I kept hearing that nursing would do the trick - well it wasn't. I wasn't quite sure what to do about it until I read a sorority sister's blog and she talked about The Daily Plate. I started it a month ago and I have lost 11 pounds! I am one pound away from my pre-pregnancy weight. (I got to it for one day and went back up - bummer). I am so excited because this site really helps me know what I am eating and be wise about my choices for food and exercise. 

I was in the midst trying to get back to a healthy weight when I got pregnant, so once I accomplish my "Get that darn baby weight off now" diet I will give the old healthy weight goal a shot - but with better tools now! I was wondering how I stayed thin in college without trying and I realized that I walked up and down "the hill" at Auburn a dozen times a day while living off of lean cuisines and Quiznos. Working while sitting still and cooking big meals for a big husband weren't great for the staying trim idea. 

My last and favorite loves are this guy and gal:

p.s. the FIVE month post is coming soon...

No comments: