10/31/08

Prayer is needed

Way back in 2003, I spent a summer in Cape Town, South Africa teaching English to refugees from DR Congo and Sudan. I went there as a very clueless child, fresh out of my freshman year in college knowing almost nothing about the struggles of those two countries. While I was there my students broke my heart with their stories and struggles about how war had slaughtered their families. I remember after teaching adjectives one day, I asked the students to write three sentences describing someone in their family. One of the students (pictured below) signaled for me to come over and whispered, "I have no family - each person in my family was shot in front of my eyes." I was stunned.

Not only did those students have horrible stories - they also had a glorious joy and a bright hope in their eyes! They had made it out of such terrible situations - even if they were the only one in their families. They were in my class to learn English so they could get a good job in South Africa and hopefully save enough money to bring more people out of such dispair. They did not complain or feel sorry for themselves. I honestly can say I have never been around such a joyful bunch of people since then! I loved everyday I was with them.

Anyway, since then I have learned about the wars in each country and followed them in the news. Lately the news out of Congo has been getting worse!


I don't know what I can do besides pray for the innocent people in this country being tortured and displaced. I wish I could do much and I want to do more - but right now I can only pray - and get you to as well!

Here are some pictures of my friends from Congo :

This is Vito - he is from Congo - Brazzaville, different than the DRC, but still a rough place

This is Henry, from DRC (I love the contrast of our hands in this pic) Me teaching - playing a review game called Hot Seat. The students had to describe the word I wrote on the board to the guy with his back towards the board, all in English.All the students and teachers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ready to go back?
Mama