10/16/08

Nav Ministry Email Update

** This is David's ministry email for the month of October **

Greetings from Columbia, SC! Hope this finds you doing well. I wanted to share a few recent highlights from the ministry, as well as a few prayer requests:

1. This week marks my fourth week back on campus. Praise God for bringing in enough funds in order for me to be on campus full-time again. THANK YOU for your support, prayers, and encouragement! Although we still have more to raise in order to finish our funding for this year, we are so thankful to be where we are! God continues to expand our understanding of His provision, and I am blown away by people's desire to partner with us financially and/or through prayer. I have REALLY enjoyed spending time with the freshmen I became friends with last year, and I am excited about the freshmen guys I have met this year.

2. My campus director has asked me and one of my staff friends, Ryan, to start a freshman bible study in Columbia Residence Hall, a dorm that we have not been able to have a real presence in yet. It's next door to Capstone, the residence hall I was primarily involved in last year. The past two weeks Ryan and I have had an information table in front of Columbia, and we have been doing "spiritual surveys". The surveys we conduct have a few basic questions such as, "What is your religious background", and "Has your interest in spiritual issues increased or decreased in the past year". We use the survey as a way to help gauge interest in whether that person would want to be a part of an Inductive Bible Study (we study the book of John). For the most part, students enjoy being surveyed. From these experiences, we have been able to get in touch with a number of interested freshman guys. I have the privilege of getting lunch with one tomorrow and one on Friday! One worked at Eagle Lake, a Navigator summer camp in Colorado Springs, and the other guy is a Sigma Nu pledge. There are several other freshmen who want to be involved in a bible study, so I am building relationships with them as well.

3. Two weekends ago, we had our annual Fall Conference, where Navigator students and staff from all over the Carolinas, Georgia, and Alabama met at the YMCA Blue Ridge Assembly in Black Mountain, NC. The freshman that I am closest to from last year, Tyler, and I had prayed that weekend about an opportunity to share the Gospel with his roommate. On Sunday night (just hours after we got back), Tyler called me and told me that he had just shared the Good News with him!! His roommate not only has an interest in a relationship with God, he also recognizes the NEED for reconciliation with God. We're still praying hard and Tyler is really excited about conversations that have come up as a result of his sharing the Gospel.

Thanks for sticking me with this far along in the post!! Please join us in prayer over these things, as God leads you:
1. For our continued fundraising efforts - we still need about $12,000 to reach our 100% goal. But join us in PRAISING GOD that He has gathered the current amount of support!
2. That God would continue to lead us to new freshmen, and that He would continue to cultivate the friendships with people we've already enjoyed spending time with.
3. For Tyler's roommate - that God would illumine his heart and bring Him into the Kingdom.

Caroline & Mary Beth are doing well! Caroline is kicking a lot as of late -- we can hardly wait to meet her in person!Please let us know how we can serve as an encouragement to you! We love and appreciate y'all for your friendship!

Through Christ,David, for us

** if you would like to be added to our monthly emails, just give us your email address and we'd be thrilled to add you! **

No comments: