Another exciting first was her first Presidential inauguration that America shared as its first inauguration of an African-American President. I think it is so great to think that she will never know a time when there wasn't an African-American who had been president. No matter what people believe politically, I think this was an exciting day in American history. I wonder how this will make Caroline's world view different than mine. I'll enjoy conversations with her when she is an adult (and while she's on her way) to see how this has impacted her or if it did at all - if this is her normal. Wouldn't even more racial equality being normal be great? I think having a conversation with my grandmother, my mom, me and Caroline about what our "normal" was regarding diversity when each of us was 20 would be an interesting conversation to hear.

5 comments:
What a big day in Caroline's life and she doesn't even know it yet. Snow & a new President all in the same day! Love the photo of her looking at the tv. She'll be so thankful when she gets older that you have documented these important moments in her life!
I totally agree. That was such a good idea to get a picture of Caroline's First inauguration... it was Jacob's too, but didn't think about it. Weird to think he'll be in Kindergarten the next time we vote. Stay Warm.
-Kelbe
Look how intently she is looking at the tv. She may be a politician, or a commentator...who knows??
Glad to see my grandchild is keeping up with current events.
I was telling my students ( who are about 95% black) that when I was in K-12 there was never a black person in my school. I don't remember there being a "person of color" at all. I'm glad times have changed.
Mom
I would love to hear that conversation.
It's amazing how much my "normal" has changed over the past 50 years.
Thanks :-).xo LA
Post a Comment