1/14/09

Life = Step 1: mom Step 2: student

This week, David and I have gotten back into the school thing! David's Navigator life is gearing back up as this week started school again here at University of South Carolina. I also started my last semester of my Master's program! 

Yesterday was my first day of class. I'm taking Ideas of Higher Education, which is a philosophy of Higher Education class. I enjoy thinking and discussing ideas with classmates, but I realized that my head will be tired after class each week. We discussed questions that had no answers for three hours yesterday, which can be a little exhausting. But - I must admit, those three
hours flew by and I enjoyed them! My professor grew up in Colorado Springs, where David and I lived our first year of marriage. I told him that I worked at Glen Eyrie (a beautiful "castle" in the mountains) owned by The Navigators. He laughed and told me that when he was in high school his friends and he would sneak into the castle and let off pipe bombs! No good! But it made me laugh because when I worked there we had to deal with people sneaking onto the premises all the time.

Today I had another class that is focused on academic advising. This professor is extremely encouraging and inspiring. I had her last spring for a different class and she has been a friend/mentor to me since then. So, I'm excited about this class. I also think I have an interest in academic advising. So, we'll see! For my third "class" I am helping her with some research in her specialty - Appreciative Advising. I put class in quotes because it isn't a true class, but I'm getting three hours of credit for helping her - and I get to be home with Caroline! Hurray!

David is getting back into Bible studies, starting more, meeting students and doing lots of other great stuff with the Navigators. So - how are we transitioning, you ask? Well, with the help of David's mom, Karen. She came for this week to help us by keeping Caroline while we dive into all this new business. She is sitting next to me on the couch as I type right now sewing Caroline's bumper pad... after cleaning up my kitchen... after making us a fabulous dinner and dessert... after taking care of Caroline and feeding her all afternoon while David and I were out doing our stuff! I don't know how she does it all or why she'd want to be so selfless when she has so much going on herself - but we are extremely grateful!! What a treat to be loved on so much. 

I haven't been taking photos much lately - I need to get back into it. But here she is getting ready for a nap! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet picture & sweet KE -thanks for the update- xo