12/5/11

Our Crazy Week

Well, here is a run down of our crazy week. ** Some pretty yucky details are below - so be warned **

Last Tuesday at 2 a.m. I woke up with a severe pain in my right side. I tried to walk it off and worried that I may have cooked something bad for us for supper. But the pain did not stop. I called the doctor at 3 a.m. and they said it shouldn't be anything to worry about. But I woke up David just to let him know. Then I started throwing up. I didn't sleep at all because of the pain I was in. At 7 a.m. we decided I needed to go to the ER. We got our neighbor Yohan to stay with the girls so David could take me to the ER.

At the ER they decided it was probably gallstones. I had an ultrasound and it was indeed gallstones. So they started talking about surgery - that night. I called my mom and she hopped on a plane to St. Louis almost immediately.

She made it to St. Louis about an hour before my procedure. I had the surgery at 5 p.m. on Wednesday.

Thursday morning I was released from the hospital and sent home. On the way home, David had to pull over to let me vomit! (yuck). I felt horrible when I got home but I had great hopes that I would feel better soon. So many people said how their gallbladder surgery recovery went quickly. Mom took care of us all and David had lots of running around to do! I continued on with plans to have Caroline's 3rd birthday party on Saturday!!

Friday I couldn't do anything without throwing up. I would sit up - vomit. I took one bite of a muffin and vomited. It was BAD bad bad bad. So, mom and I headed back to the ER. After doing blood tests the doctors realized that a stone was left in my bile duct not allowing my liver to totally do its thing - causing me to be in pain and sick a lot. So, procedure #2 was scheduled for Saturday morning at 10 a.m. to remove that stone. David's parents arrived in town ready to help with the girls and we officially cancelled Caroline's birthday party :-( I was so so sad.

Saturday I had my treatment, the stone was removed. Now I was on watch for pancreatitis, so I had to stay in the hospital another night. Which meant I only saw the birthday girl for about 30 minutes on her big day. AND I couldn't eat or drink. I had only eaten one meal since Tuesday and I threw that up anyway, so it hardly counts. I was not in a great mood, to say the least.

Sunday finally came and I was finally given the green light to eat - chicken broth never tasted so good. And I was able to go home! Shew.

It was a rough week, and still is as I am dealing with recovery, but it has been so amazing to experience the love and care of our church family, related family and friends. Every time I went to the hospital someone from my church was ALREADY there waiting for me! Pastors and interns prayed with me before my surgery. A pastor made it to my OR prep room before my husband and mom even did! I had tons of facebook messages, text messages, emails and phone calls of care and concern. My neighbors are cooking dinner for us every night this coming week. Even though this wasn't a fun experience, it was incredible to experience such love this week. Thank you!

We love because he first loved us. 1 John 4:19

9 comments:

April Barber said...

mb - I am so sorry to hear this. I can help with the girls sometime next week if you need me to.

Elizabeth and David said...

So glad you are doing better Mary Beth! What a week, bless your heart.

Beth said...

Oh, man, MB. That sounds just awful. It sounds so much like what happened when Barrett had to have his appendix out while we were living at Gulf! But we never had to go through it a second time. :(
I'm glad you're feeling better. I wish I could be there to make a you a meal and watch the girls for you so you can rest (tell Carrie and Marci to pick up the slack for me :). Please know we've been praying for you! Hopefully it will all be over soon.

Betsy said...

Oh my!! What a week! I'm so glad that you're all through with that now and recovering. I'll be praying for you!!!!

Courtney said...

whew so sorry you had to go through all that but so so glad to hear that you have such a wonderful community walking with you through it!

The Novaks said...

I'm so thankful that you're ok and that everyone's taking such good care of you. I've been praying for you this week. Love you!

Sarah W. said...

Mary Beth, I'm so glad to hear that you're home and recovering!

Jake and Mandy said...

I'm so glad that you're doing well now! I'm sorry you had to go through it, but I'm glad you had so many great helpers/supporters! I hope you're back to 100% soon!

The York Family said...

I'm so sorry to hear all you went through! I'm glad you're better and I know your girls were so well taken care of by your sweet family and friends!