Cloth Diapering
This was something we did because of Caroline's sensitive skin, but the frugal benefits were great too! The blog Young House Love did the math and for two years it would have cost about $3000 to diaper a child with disposable diapers (which seems a little high to me). We (actually grandparents) spent about $250 on all our cloth diapering supplies (diapers, pale, toilet sprayer, pale liner all from cotton babies). We have a high efficiency washer and dryer (bought in our higher income days) so our cost for washing is low and the detergent we use is cheap and lasts a very long time because you use almost none when washing the diapers. So $3000 per kid for 2 years or $250 for both kids for 2 years... wow, that is a lot of money saved.
2 comments:
I am so proud of your frugality!! Dave would be too!!
I remember reading that on Young House Love and I thought it was pretty high as well. We spend between $15 and $20 a month on diapers (Target brand or something with a great sale + coupon). So I spend the same as you (nearly $250) for ONE child for ONE year. You're doing AWESOME!!
I kind of wish we hadn't been so quick to get rid of our cloth diapers now that we know Isaac's skin problems were mostly due to eczema. I kind of wish I could give it another go with Toby (who had the same skin problems....but also has issues with milk we didn't find out about until later!) but oh well! And I definitely think $3,000/year is SUPER high....we probably spend about $300/year on disposables.
Post a Comment