2/8/09

Slumdog, babysitters and coupons

This weekend, David and I had our first non-family babysitters for Caroline! We went on a date to see Slumdog Millionaire and got dinner. It was great to get dressed up and be out together. The movie was fantastic. It had a powerful impact on both of us and is one of those movies that sticks with you. We couldn't get it off our minds last night. Funny thing - when we got home we saw my sister and brother-in-law and my parents were on iChat, so we all chatted with each other. All six of us went to see Slumdog Millionaire last night and didn't know the others were going! We all thought the movie was great and it led to some good discussions last night. I would highly, highly recommend it. 
Our fantastic babysitters were Leah and Marcia. They are both students at USC and in The Navigator ministry on campus. They were so sweet to babysit and told us they'd love to anytime!! Great news :-)

Also!! I have decided I want to start couponing. Now that I am not bringing in an income anymore, I need to learn how to spend our money as wisely as possible! Several of my friends share about the money they save by clipping coupons and taking advantage of deals. There are some crazy and good blogs out there telling how to coupon and save. I get pretty overwhelmed with it all, but I hope to learn to do it well. Today was my first go at it. My total purchase before the coupons was $132.25  and after it was $89.98, I saved $42.27. So, I realized that I have a lot to learn - a lot. But I was encouraged! 

We've got lots going on here - one thing that I don't think I have mentioned yet is my Comps Exam is coming up! It is a test I must pass in order to get my M.Ed. I have had a study group for the past month, we've met twice a week. It has really helped and I hope to do well, but my test is in 12 days!! 

2 comments:

Elise Hollinhead said...

I love to clip coupons! Since I don't work, this is my way of "contributing" to the family! =) What blogs do you look at? That was a really good savings!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! Well done!
Mom