This is our second full day home from the hospital. I have experienced such a range of emotions as a new father. More than anything I am just excited about Caroline, raising her, and learning how to be responsible for a person that is completely reliant on us. I have come a long way in the past few days. I feel much more comfortable holding her and changing her diaper than I expected. I have also developed a knack for trimming her fingernails with my teeth.
A cool thing happened yesterday. I was holding her and she was making all sorts of faces at me. For half a second, I could see my face in hers for the first time. It hit me then that, wow! this is my child. Since Mary Beth is the one who could feel her the whole time Caroline was in the
womb she seemed almost more Mary Beth's than mine, but now that she's in my arms
I know she belongs to both of us.
I absolutely love her already. When I hold her I can't help but say things like, "Caroline, you mean the world to me." "I love you more than you'll ever know." Even though I know she doesn't know exactly what I'm saying, it helps me articulate what I'm feeling.
Here are some pictures from leaving the hospital:
yawning in her car seat!

Here I am being the concerned father while driving Caroline for the first time.

Mary Beth, Caroline and Pete bonding on the couch

1 comment:
Congratulations Elys! Caroline is beautiful. I am so happy for you both.
Post a Comment