11/20/12

Prepping for Anna Helen's arrival!

Oh childbirth... I'm in that position where it is going to happen! A month or so ago I was feeling anxious and nervous about giving birth to Anna Helen and told David I kind of didn't want to go through it. I had such a good experience with Elizabeth Joy and have been talking to so many expectant mothers about it over the past year and a half, I knew I just had to re-get excited about it.

So, I went to the library and got all the books I read last time, re-read them and have added a couple more to the list.

Here is what I re-read:
Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way - I seriously wish they would update the pictures, but whatever, good tips.
Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskins - love this lady, makes me wish I lived near the farm...
The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth

New books:
Husband-coached Childbirth: The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth by Robert Bradley (himself!) - I loved reading about the history and method of Bradley Method FROM Dr. Bradley.

Hypnobirthing: The Mongon Method: A Natural approach to a safe, easier, more comfortable birthing - this book is great. My cousin just had a great birth experience on Sunday using this method. She got me all excited about it. Hypnosis freaks me out a little because I think of the entertainment kind. (like this http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/hypnotist/1418197/) However this book talks of self hypnosis like you'd think of the power of positive thinking, thinking positively about birth. The ideas of relaxation are great. I really like how this book gives you tips on how to set yourself up at the hospital for a relaxing, calm, gentle birth process and mental prep for possible scenarios. The book describe the stages of labor and it was like they were describing my exact labor with EJ - it was weird.

I have my doula lined up, my OB is all about no interventions (except a hep-lock). I still need to write out my birth plan, though I pretty much know it by heart.

The only differences from EJ's birth plan are:
1. I want to tell the nurses that I don't plan on pushing this time, so ask them not to encourage it. My mom said she never pushed with her babies and the more I read it seems my body will do it without me needing to force it. My pushing has been so incredibly fast with the past two girls and I read it is better for the baby's lungs to spend a little more time in the birth canal to get all the amniotic fluid out.
2. I want David to cut the cord AFTER it stops pulsing.
3. We think it would be fun if David caught Anna Helen. He wants to - but I haven't asked my OB yet.
4. I do not want to be on my back for delivery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD88c9dbiZg 

So, all this thinking and planning has me excited again! Shew. 8 weeks to go!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I remember that hopeless feeling, thinking, "Aw, shoot. Is there any way out of this part [that is, labor and delivery]?" It's amazing how that happens *every time* even though you know it's coming.

We'll be praying for you! And I'm with you on the not actively pushing, if you can avoid it. I felt like it just sort of happened without me really trying, and I think I probably wouldn't have torn at all the last time if I hadn't let myself get freaked out by everyone yelling, "PUSH!"