5/26/11

30-A Retreat

We had a delightful few days at the beaches of 30-A. This year we stayed in Sea Grove, just down the road from where we stayed last year. I love 30-A and the pace of life down there. The beaches are white the ocean is emerald and gorgeous. I love the familiarity we have with it down there. Bruce and Karen assigned each of us a night to pick a place to eat. Bruce and Karen picked Cafe 30A, Payton and Jenny picked The Great Southern Cafe and David and I chose the Airstream Alley in Seaside (lots of choices but we chose the Taco Bar). The days were full of beach time, chatting at the cottage, and riding bikes. It was a great way to unwind after a very full May (exams and ending the semester for David, coordinating graduation weekend at Covenant for me)

Here is Caroline showing off her cute pig tails as we wait for our plane in St. Louis.
This was Elizabeth Joy's first airplane ride! She won't take a passy, but David is trying for her to in this picture while Caroline snoozes.
Here Caroline is playing with her baby doll (can't see it) while I play with my baby. We had a great time goo-gooing :-)
At the beach! Here Elizabeth Joy is enjoying time with (soon to be) Aunt Jenny
This picture is from Elizabeth Joy's first time on the beach! The second night all of us went to Cafe 30A for dinner (it was very tasty) and, afterwards, David, EJ and I walked back on the beach to our cottage from the restaurant. Since EJ was asleep, I just put a little sand on her feet for her to have the official experience.
The first day on the beach, Caroline was not a huge fan of the water (she got over that fast). But while she didn't want to get near it, she wanted water to play with the sand, so she had David and I doing this a lot: fetching water and bringing it to her. (That's her little yellow water bucket that David is carrying)
I was able to see my college suite mate again! She lives down there and it is so fun to have an annual visit with her and her sweet babe. Pray for her as she endures being without her husband as he is in basic training for the army this summer!
What a delight to have grandparents with us so that David and I could steal away and have fun on the beach together
and hang out with these two: the soon to be newlyweds! We had fun sitting and chatting with them!
Caroline LOVED the beach this year after her first day warming up to it. She loved to stand in the water and jump over the waves. She found extra delight when a wave was huge and splashed her in the face - nothing was funnier to her! While we were playing in the ocean we got to watch some dolphins jumping in the water! Great fun.
Sweet Elizabeth joy enjoyed a nap with REAL ocean waves, not just the noise machine waves she usually hears.
When we weren't on the beach, Caroline was doing this: riding her bike.
Here we are at the cottage just enjoying each others company. I love Caroline's expression in this picture.

2 comments:

Karen said...

MB: you are an excellent blogger and photo journalist. We miss you guys, especially those sweet little girls, already.

Bruce

The Novaks said...

We were at Panama City Beach the 15th through the 21st and drove right through there!! I wonder if we overlapped at all...how sad that we didn't get to see you. I hope you're doing well! Miss you!