Caroline has been sick this past week. Her illness required us to do breathing treatments with her for 15 - 20 minutes every four hours. The way that I can help Caroline stay calm is by rocking to her and singing to her.
I am an old hymn kind of girl. I have always liked them and was raised in a home and a church that sang them! Since becoming a mother I have been thankful for a repertoire of memorized hymns.
At night I usually sing one or two hymns and then put her down, but with the long stretches these breathing treatments gave me I got into some hymns I hadn't sung in a while and I also had time to meditate on the words.
While I was singing Great Is Thy Faithfulness the words really hit me. It is so true that the Lord has proven himself to be faithful to David and me in our short 4 years together. Sometimes we don't really know how we are/ how we will make it through Seminary, but we are! Every need we have has been met through the Lord's gracious provision. We have never needed to worry. I wanted to share the words of this hymn and pray that the truth of the Lord's faithfulness will encourage you as it has me! (and encourage me down the road when I read this!)
Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
there is no shadow of turning with thee;
thou changest not, thy compassions, they fail not;
as thou hast been thou forever will be.
Great is thy faithfulness! Great is thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
all I have needed thy hand hath provided;
great is thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!
Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
sun, moon and stars in their courses above
join with all nature in manifold witness
to thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!
7 comments:
Amen and amen. This was played at our wedding and I want it played at my funeral someday. The words of this song move me every time I hear it. God has been SO FAITHFUL to me. Funny, I'm listening to Chris Rice Living Rom Sessions as I read this and Great Is Thy Faithfulness just started playing.
Ah, one of my FAVORITES! That hymn was the recessional at our wedding. Thanks for the always needed reminder and I hope sweet Caroline feels better- I know those treatments are a bite!
I love that hymn too- the words are powerful, as is the music. Bless your heart- and Caroline's & David's! Those breathing treatments are scary & relieving/comforting at the same time. I hope she feels better soon & stays well. Love you!
ps- I like the interesting new look to your blog- I wish you were here to get me, & Jess, started on one! xo
That was the song that helped me through the last 3 months of my pregnancy with David. I sang it lying in the bed during my bedrest. When I was 20 years old, the doctor said I might not be able to have children because of the DES. So every morning I thanked him for getting me through another day of my pregnancy! When we dedicated him to the Lord at church, the choir sang that song that morning. Coincidence? I don't think so.
Amen sister! One of my very favorite hymns of all time!!! I know the LORD will continually provide for you and show Himself faithful ... as He does us! Sorry little sweetie pie is sick - hug her from Leigh Ann :-)
HE is good. Thank you for encouraging me through this testament of God's goodness.
Post a Comment