9/16/10

Baby #2 is a...

Girl! We're so excited about having another little girl. We would have been thrilled with either gender, but I secretly hoped for a little girl so Caroline and #2 could be close buds since they'll be so close in age.

Here is a shot of our little girl. This is a "headshot" of her laying on her back (her nose pointed upward). The image shows the top of her shoulder (far left) to the top of her head (far right).
Please keep her in your prayers though. In the ultrasound, it looked as if her ureter might have a little kink in it. The ureter is the tube that connects the kidney to the bladder. Her left kidney has too much fluid right now, which makes the doctor believe that it may not be emptying well. I am going back to the hospital during my third trimester for another big ultrasound to check on her kidney. The doctor believes that there is a high chance that this could be cleared up in the womb and all will be fine, which was good to hear!

I am extremely familiar with this situation, however, because I had the same thing! When I was in 8th grade I began to have MAJOR pain "attacks" on my left side. We had no idea what was going on and then after many months, hospital visits and tests the doctors realized that I had a kink in my ureter due to a vein and artery blocking it, so my left kidney had too much fluid in it and wasn't able to empty, causing me tons of pain. So, I had surgery to reroute my ureter and I have had ZERO problems with it since! I am strangely relieved that I have "been there, done that". I keep thinking, if I had no problems post the fix, neither will she, (if it doesn't clear itself up in the womb) right?

So, the only thing that makes me sad about it is the fact that she might be in as much pain right now as I was in 8th grade. I'm not sure if that's possible yet, but I sure hope she's not!

Other than that, things looks great with her! They estimated her weight to be 11 ounces right now. David and I had so much fun watching her move and groove during the ultrasound. She was pretty active and kept the sonographer on her toes trying to follow her around. We are so thrilled to be blessed with another darling girl!

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Yay Mary Beth and David!! Can't wait to meet that sweet little girl!! Yay for Caroline too!!

Melanie said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations! Another little girl...so sweet. They will be best friends for sure!

Confessions said...

congratulations, y'all! what a sweet gift the Lord is giving you. as much as i hope for a son one day, i also would love for MT to have a sister. there's just nothing like a sister... :)

Stephanie said...

Yay for sisters! How fun! Congrats to the whole fam! They will be such close sisters! I will say a little prayer for her sweet little kidney (aw picturing a kidney that tiny is just endearing to me) and that she isn't in any pain! Can't wait to see Caroline meet her baby sister!

lasyoung said...

Congrats on another sweet baby girl:-). May she be free from pain and may everything be fine. Thanks for the update! xo