The best place to start is April 18, when we found out. I had been feeling stressed out and really tired for a week or two, and David and I both thought that it was because of my new full-time job and my full load of graduate classes. For three or four days in a row, I felt nauseated. David went into overdrive to make sure that we had a calm environment at home to relieve my stress. I was describing my symptoms to two of my friends, Julia & Michael. They both said, "Mary Beth, you HAVE to take a pregnancy test!" I told them that would be a waste of $15 because pregnancy tests are so expensive and there was no way I was pregnant. After several more days, they were about to buy me a pregnancy test. David and I broke down and bought one.
The box said that it takes 3 minutes to get your results. After about 45 seconds, I was curious and looked. It said pregnant. I told David that the "Not" hadn't shown up, so we better wait the full 3 minutes. After 3 minutes, the "not" hadn't shown up. After 5 minutes, same story. After 7, still no "not". We simply didn't believe it. We thought we would wait until after a USC Choir concert to take the second one.
In the meantime, I called my sister, Sarah. I figured she was a pro at pregnancy tests since she's on her third child. I said, "What do you know about EPT? Are they crazy sensitive, or wrong often?" Sarah said no and asked why. I told her I used EPT and it said I was pregnant, so something had to be wrong. She replied, "Nope. You're pregnant" and laughed. I thought that was a hasty judgment.
I called Sarah and she told me to get a doctors appointment asap. So, I scheduled one for the next Tuesday.
So we went to the doctor. They gave me another pregnancy test, and I went back to the waiting room with David. After a few minutes the nurse called us in and started to take my weight and blood pressure without saying anything about the test results. Then she told me that she was going to take some blood, which I never react well to.
This was our first introduction to parenthood.
We believe God is sovereign. Even though we may have been surprised by this little baby, it is comforting to know that the Lord was not. He planned this baby before the foundation of the world. We feel so privileged to be given this great opportunity to be this little one's parents. What a relief that we don't have to be in control of our path. We look forward to seing what the Lord has in store for us!
3 comments:
mary beth-
so glad to have found your blog! and i'm glad you found mine, since you were meant to read my birth story ;-)
i am the same way about getting my blood drawn.... i put my first appointment off until about ten weeks b/c i didn't want the blood taken!
'a woman is like a tea bag, you never know how strong she is until she's in hot water'... i don't think we even know how strong we are. God created our bodies to carry, birth, and nurse babies and although we don't have much support in our culture for these things, our bodies were designed for it!
i'm so thrilled that you are heading down this journey. it is a blessing... the best kind---the messy kind!
MB-you have always been an entertaining story teller- I loved reading about your big news- thanks for the smiles- so much ahead :-)!xo
mary beth! so glad you shared your blog with me -- we are really enjoying ours and I think that ya'll will enjoy keeping up with yours as well.
this is such a great story! it makes me a tad nervous though, and now I am curious about what sort of "preventative measures" you were taking ;)
Post a Comment